Sourdough Biscuit Beef Pot Pie
Ash uses her sourdough discard biscuit recipe to use as a topper for her Beef Pot Pie. Sourdough Discard makes beautiful, flakey biscuits! Make them on their own or as a topper for this dish.
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sourdough discard
Pot Pie Filling
salt and pepper
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg or heavy cream for brushing
-whisk together 1 ¾ flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- -cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork. Add sourdough discard. Stir to form a cohesive dough.
- -Place dough on a lightly floured surface, rolling it out and folding it over in thirds. Using a bench knife cut the dough into 8 squares. Set aside.
- -cook ground beef in a cast iron on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and carrots.
- -pour soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and tomato paste and mix to combine.
- -sprinkle flour over the mixture and then add beef broth (this will help it thicken).
- -Season with salt and pepper and cook until carrots and onions are soft.
- -Arrange the biscuits on top of the mixture in the cast iron and brush with cream or egg.
- -Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes or until the biscuits are fully cooked.