Chocolate Sourdough Bread
The richest, most delicious chocolate sourdough bread! You can make this with chocolate chips, or without for a yummy satisfying, easy to make sourdough.
- 550g water
- 250g leaven
- 750-775g flour (down to 725 if using kamut)
- 100g Dutch process cocoa powder
- 85-100g sugar
- 25g salt
- -mix together water, active leaven, flour, cocoa and sugar. Leave to sit for a half hour. Add salt and do your first stretch and fold.
- -leave to sit (covered) on the counter for 4-6 hours, conducting either coil folds, slap folds or stretch/folds every 45-60mins (you may be able to extend this toward the end depending how much structure and how well your dough holds together.
-divide in half. Spread out each half and add any inclusions you prefer (Chocolate chips etc). Fold up to a round or oval loaf. Place in bannetons, cover and put in fridge at least over night (mine did about 18 hours in the fridge).
- - score dough cold. Preheat Dutch oven in the oven. Bake at 450 for 23-25 minutes. Remove cover and back for additional 15-17mins (this will obviously vary depending on your oven).